Thursday, November 29, 2012

The One When I Had to Say Goodbye to My City

My last few days in Siena were really busy. I had finals and I had to pack so I didn't get to do anything too exciting, but it was still hard to leave.

On our last day we took our last few finals and then the school hosted a giant goodbye lunch for us. The food was great, but the company was even better. I am going to get all sappy now and tell you that the 23 other girls that I went with were incredible. I've made some of the best friends and definitely the best memories. Before I went I was worried that a group that large of all girls would have drama all of the time, but there was almost no drama. Our group was so fun and friendly. I have learned so much from them and I miss them all! Reunions winter semester!! After the lunch we had a little goodbye celebration. Anne and I made awards for everyone in the group and handed them out. Anne surprised me with the Obi Wan Kenobi award, because apparently I am a great mentor. Thank you my young padawan. Then we watched a video that one the girls had worked really hard on making. It was great! And a total tear jerker. We had so many great times together. From the most interesting hotel staff ever to funny gelato jokes to va bene we will always have so many great memories.

Then came the really hard part. Anne and I had to say good by to Marco and Paola. I loved living with them. They were so kind and so funny. I will always remember them! After giving them notes and a gift we looked through pictures together. It was fun to see more of their lives and to show them our families. We ended the night with an excellent dinner courtesy of Paola. I miss her cooking already!

After dinner Anne and I headed of to the campo to meet up with the other girls. We talked, reminisced, and just enjoyed our surroundings. A lot of the girls got gelato, but Anne and I were to full. Not that that was unusual. We were ALWAYS full.

Last night in the campo.

The next morning we headed to the bus and took of Ravenna. There may or may not have been cry fest. Va bene! I am still mentally kicking myself because Anne and I forgot our fried apples and never took a picture with our host parents.... I guess I'll just have to go back!

Oh Siena! I love you. I love your old buildings, your cobblestone streets, your market, your piazza, and so many other things. Gah! I miss you.


No comments:

Post a Comment