Thursday, April 11, 2013

I Hope They Call Me On a Mission! Oh Wait, They Already Did...

Well as probably all of you reading this know I got my mission call! So I thought I'd blog about it and share my inner, juicy, and ever so exciting feelings. Was that enough hype for this post?

Let me just say that the last two weeks of waiting have been SO nerve racking! I have checked the mail  approximately 1,234,983 times in the last week (not an exaggeration at all). It got to the point that I was starting to get nervous stomach pains. Not exactly the best thing to happen the week before finals! On Monday night I had a horrible night of sleep and had even worse dreams. In one of the dreams I got a rejection letter that told me the Church already had enough missionaries and wouldn't be needing me. Yikes! I foolishly hoped that my call would come a day early and arrive on Tuesday. What foolishness! Of course it didn't come. So on Wednesday I frantically waited for my roommates to check the mail while I was at school and work.

At 3:30 on Wednesday I finally got the text. My. Mission. Call. Came. What?! How did this become real? I was so excited. I called my mom and sent out the texts to all of my friends. I set the opening time for 9:30. Just six hours to wait. Then came the pacing. Lots of pacing.

Thankfully I had work, the temple, and dinner with friends to distract me for the first five of the six hours. However, the last hour was spent at home staring at my call. Who knew a plain white envelope could be so interesting? Side note: holding your call up to the light will not allow you to see through the envelope.

Finally, at 9:30, it was time.

Before I talke about opening my call I think I should tell you about my thoughts about where I was going. Of course I wanted to go to Italy, but that wasn't why I put my papers in. I am going to serve the Lord, not to travel back to my favorite place ever. So I didn't really think it would happen. I mean I thought it was logical, but in the week before I got my call I was pretty convinced I was going to end up in the South. Somewhere humid, Bible belted, and deep fried.

So it was with much excitement that I read "You are assigned to labor in the Italy Rome Mission."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I am pretty sure that I am going back because I threw several coins in the Trevi Fountain. They say if you throw a second coin in the fountain you are guaranteed to come back.

Actually, I know that I am going to Rome because that is where the Lord wants me to serve. I know that that is where I am needed. I know that there are people waiting for me to talk to them. I know that it is where I will grow the most.

Anyways my call to Italy feels like a call home. Somehow I had always thought that if I got called to Italy it would be to Milan. I am bummed that Siena won't be in my mission, but I am excited to see more of Italy. I feel so blessed to go to a country where I know how things work. I get to share the gospel I love in a language I love and to a people that I already love. I am literally going to my favorite place in the world. How many people can say that?

The only downside is the impending weight gain. I gained 20 pounds in 3 months in Italy. How much am I going to gain in 18 months?!?! But who can really complain about a little more insulation when you're eating Bucatini all-Amatriciana, Giolitti, and San Crispino? No one! (Rome really does have so many of my favorite foods and restaurants)

I am so humbled by the opportunity to serve my Heavenly Father and share His truths with the Italian people.

The Gospel is true, I promise.

Me and Alisa with my call!

Oh you know just one of my favorite pictures I took of my mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment