Sunday, September 15, 2013

Catania, Sicily Week 1


Dearest Family!
I have so much to say and so little time to say it!!! I am so excited for Matthew! Las Vegas better watch out because they're about to get one heck of a missionary. It's going to be super hot, but he will survive haha. Also, congrats on the Eagle!! That is great news. Also, I am so happy that everyone is enjoying the start of the new school year. It sounds like everyone is doing so very well. I love hearing about you guys!
 
Ok, where to start.... I am in Catania the capital of Sicily. The train ride here from Rome was ten hours... Longer than the flight from the states. Non buono. Actually, it wasn't bad. I sat with another Sorella and we got to talk to a lot of the Italians. It was really fun to talk to them about the gospel and just about life. I met my trainer when I arrived in Catania. Her name is Sorella Vincent. She's been out here for four transfers so we're both super young in the mission. It's great! We are also probably the youngest looking companionship in the mission. She is a year younger than me and shorter than me so really we look so young. People ask us about it everyday. But I LOVE her (despite the fact that she goes to the U). She is so dedicated to working hard and you can tell it is really paying off. We live with two other sisters, Sorelle Bair e Lovell. Sorella Bair is from Seattle and Sorella Lovell did a study abroad in Siena. So of course we all get a long.
 
So about Sicily... I thought Siena would prepare me.... Let's just say that Sicily is a world apart from up North. It's dirty and SO SO SO hot. However, the people are so warm. They are incredibly nice. Seriously, I can barely go a day with out someone buying me a pastry. I like that. And they are also so open to talking about the gospel. Instead of being defensive they are just curious.
 
And the work here is fantastic! So far I have just really loved it. I haven't felt discouraged, just super excited. I guess that's just the greenie in me. We are teaching some really great couple. There is one couple that has been taught for the year and they come to church every week. We just have to work on the word of wisdom.... I think that's going to be a common theme in Italy. Then there is Mario, the husband of a member. He wants to be baptised, but couldn't because he works during church. However, last night we got a call saying that he now has mornings off!! Such a miracle! The there is Giulia and Loredana. A daughter and her mom. I've only met Giulia so far, but she is probably the happiest person in the known world. I am so excited to get to work with her. There are so many others I can't even list them. We also teach an English course twice a week which I just love!!!!! I feel very in my element while teaching.
 
So cool story of the week. We had a night free, but we couldn't go far because President Wadoups is still trying to decide who will drive the car. We decided to try to visit a contact who lived really close. As we were walking down her street we ran into another contact and started talking. While we were talking an old man just came up and exclaimed "mormoni!" Turns out his name is Carmello and he met with the missionaries a long time ago. He really likes the church and will be coming on Sunday. The woman we tried to visit wasn't even home. I am so happy that we ran into Carmello. He really just seems ready. It is so wonderful to feel truly directed by the Lord.
 
Oh and funny thing, one of the sisters in my house  actually rides a unicycle. How's that for our story?
 
Life is just so good. I feel so blessed to be here doing the Lord's work. As I've started to focus more on his work. I've felt more and more blees.
 
The gospel is true.
 
Vi voglio tanto bene!!!!
 
Sorella Katie Francom


No comments:

Post a Comment