Monday, March 18, 2013

The Life of an Italy Loving, Tree Hugging Foodie

So for my Multicultural Education class I have to create a cultural diorama about my cultural background (how many times can I say "cultural" in one sentence?). This meant that I had to pick three items that gave insight into my daily life and way of doing things. I also have to write about it. So here it goes.

I thought about putting the Book of Mormon because it embodifies (a kid said that three times in Sacrament so I decided to adopt the word too) the most important thing about me, my relgion. However, at a church run school I figured that was a given and decided to go with more original things.

Item #1: My Cinque Terre Head Scarf

Me five minutes after buying the scarf.

I wear it every night before I go to bed.

During my study abroad in Italy I went on a weekend hiking trip to the Cinque Terre. That is five seaside towns that are connected by the steepest hiking trails. In one of the cities I decided to buy this head scarf because I wanted a souvenir and it was practical. I could keep my hair out of my face and have a material memory. The scarf is representative of me for multiple reasons. The first is that it is from Italy. My love for Italy may sound like a quirk, but it really does affect my daily life. It changed the way I see the world and the things I value. Another reason my head scarf ties into my culture is that it was purchased while I was hiking and I wear it on hiking trips now. I love hiking! I love being outdoors and enjoying nature. I grew up in Washington and that nature loving mentality is just a part of me. 

Item #2: My Washington Conservation Corps Hat

Wearing the hat on the job.

A little bit closer view of the hat.

A few summers ago I had the opportunity to work for the Washington Conservation Corps. The. Best. Job. I got to hike around, build trails, kill invasive plants, and hang out with awesome people. My hat was always worn. It kept the sun out of my face and just made me feel cool. This hat shows the crunchy granola side of me. For those of you who don't know what crunchy granola means it is synonymous to tree hugger, but cooler. I already said this, but I love nature. Conserving and appreciating it is really important to me. My sophomore year the first thing I said to my new roommates was that I recycle. Yep, stereotypical Washingtonian right here. 

Item #3: Lucini Olive Oil


This is a bottle of some pretty nice Tuscan olive oil. Actually I bought it at Target, but it is imported from Tuscany and it does have an amazing taste. Once again my love for Italy is coming through.... When is it not? However, I chose this item because it shows how much I love food. I love to eat, I love to cook, and I LOVE to feed people (I don't know if I should admit that to the public). Cooking is a part of my daily life. Obviously... However, I do take the time to try a new recipe or creation of my own at least a few times a week. I am also kind of a food snob. I like to have quality ingredients. I also love to try new restaurants. The adventure of trying some new food is just so exciting to me.

Well I hope this helped you understand me, entertained you, or at the very least helped you procrastinate your homework. 

No comments:

Post a Comment