Monday, June 11, 2012

Pensive

Disclaimer: Incredibly sappy post. You've been warned.

Home alone (well mostly) + time to think = a new blog post

I've been thinking a lot about how things change as time passes. One of my faults or gifts (depending on how you look at it) is that I get really emotionally invested in people. As a result I saying goodbye is really hard for me. And well it's that time again. Spring term is over and a lot of people are heading home or off on study abroad to see the world. Some of these people I've only known for two months and others I've known for almost a year. Some I know I will see again and others I probably never will.

I've said a lot of goodbyes in my life. Most of them are just little pangs at the realization that they're not going to be a part of my everyday life anymore. Others bring tears. And once, only once, a goodbye brought heart crushing pain. Another goodbye, the most nonchalant of my life, brought regret.

This time, however, the goodbyes seem less of an end and more like a beginning. Of course I will miss all of these people, but I know that there will be new people to meet. When I graduated high school I remember thinking that I would never find another group of friends to compare to the Nerd Herd. Those guys got me through high school. They were my everything for that time. But that's just it, they were everything for THAT time. I've grown up, I have new friends, and they mean just as much (if not more) to me. These friends are for this season of my life. There will be new friends for the next season. That doesn't mean that I will ever forget those friends. I'm not going to stop wishing them well. In fact I am quite certain that some of them will last into new seasons of my life. Perhaps others will  reemerge at later periods. I am just so grateful that I always seem to have the friends that I need for the moment. I am grateful to be blessed with friends who can support me and that I can support.

To everything there is a season.

No comments:

Post a Comment